Sunday, November 7, 2010

Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer

I had heard Artemis Fowl praised as a fresh take on Harry Potter, so I was curious, but not exactly scrambling to read it. As a matter of fact, I had read the first few pages a year ago and then not kept going. This time, I persevered and am glad I did. Besides the fact that there is a twelve year old boy as one of the main characters and there happens to be magic, I wouldn't say it's like Harry Potter at all. If anything, it's more like Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Lots of comedy, very anachronistic, etc...

Artemis Fowl is the 12-year-old villain of the book. He's a genius, but has no magic that I'm aware of / shown in the first book of the series. The magic comes from creatures that Fowl is trying to extort for gold. Fairies, trolls, etc... It's a clever and well-imagined world.



Artemis Fowl first edition cover.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment