Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Look out Neal Shusterman. You still are the focus of my literary crush, but Paulo Bacigalupi has the goods to give you a run for your money.

Ship Breaker is fanstastic! It really deserves the bazillion awards it has garnered. Fast paced, fresh set-up, well-rounded characters, even a hint of romance which male authors are usually clumsy about pulling off. Highly readable and enjoyable.

I was reading reviews of the book on amazon. Of the few people who only gave this book one star (we're talking 2 out of a hundred) one person's complaint was there was too much bad language. Really? I may be jaded from too much YA reading, but I confess that I can't remember any. The other guy complained that this was another dystopian YA novel on an oil rig and it didn't deserve all the awards. A comment on the review asked which dystopian YA novel set on an oil rig the guy prefered. (Good stuff. ) My suspicion is that negative review was spawned from the pride of a failed writer. It was a little too bitter to not have some personal motivation,

Anyway, if you're searching around for that next compelling book, Ship Breaker is the one to get.

p.s. - Just had my request for The Windup Girl come in from the library. Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment