Monday, September 6, 2010

Tom Siddell - Gunnerkrigg Court - Interview!

Chapter 1, Page 2






Tom Siddell, the creator of the fabulous Gunnerkrigg Court, was kind enough to do an interview. Checkout his comic online at:


www.gunnerkrigg.com


Now, onto the interview!:

1) What was the inspiration behind creating Gunnerkrigg Court?

Mainly I was looking to do something different with my art. At the time I was stuck drawing characters floating in space not really doing anything interesting. I thought having a go at a comic would help me develop my art and draw a lot of things I normally wouldn't. I used to read a lot of mythology stories when I was a kid, so that influenced the content of the comic as I knew I wanted to write about various myths and creatures.

2) Are you the artist behind all aspects of Gunnerkrigg Court? Pencil’s, Writer, Color, everything? Please tell us a bit about your process.

Yeah, it's just me working on the comic. When I started I drew on printer paper with pencil and inks, and then coloured the pages on the computer in an old copy of Photoshop. Somewhere around chapter 14 I switched to all digital production as it made the whole process easier. I write the story chapter at a time (while keeping in line with my overall plot) and then sketch each page roughly, ink them and then colour them. Then, of course, I upload them to the Internet for everyone to see.

3) What have you worked on besides Gunnerkrigg Court? Hit us with the highlights?

Gunnerkrigg is my first comic, so nothing really! I have a full time job, so I don't get a lot of time to work on other things, although I would really like to.

4) What are you working on currently?

Aside from Gunnerkigg I always have a few stories in mind I'd like to develop, and I am currently collaborating on a short story with fellow webcomics creator Magnolia Porter of www.bobwhitecomics.com.

5) Archaia has recently put out a lovely hardcover edition of Gunnerkrigg Court? Did you contact them? They contact you? How did that all come together?

Well my agent and I were looking for a publisher and Archaia stepped forward and put the books together! I'm afraid it doesn't get much more exciting than that.

6) You have to survive for a month in the wilderness with another famous Tom. Who would you choose and why? You have to select from the following list:

Thomas Edison, Tom Petty, Thomas Paine, Thomas the Tank Engine, Tom Cruise, or Tom Jones.

I think I would choose Thomas Edison, because he would be the brains of the operation (he would also probably be the brawn).

7) What comic book are you currently reading?

I recently got Pim and Francie by Al Columbia. It's really great and really scary. There's not a lot quite like it!

8) Who’s your comic book hero?

Well Yukito Kishiro is my favourite comic creator. He makes Battle Angel Alita, my all time favourite comic series.

9) What are your three things?

For example: salty, sweet and citrus. Or cranky, moody and bleak. Etc…?

Dinosaurs, skates and falling

10) Was San Diego your first comic book convention? What was your impression of the show?

I've been to a few conventions here in the UK, but it was my first US convention. I thought it was really great. We don't have anything of that size in the UK, and being able to go and be at the Archaia booth and meet people who read my comic was a fantastic experience. I'd love to go to more cons in the US (I will be at the New York Comic Con).

11) What’s the best thing you saw at SDCC?

It was definitely the readers of my comic. A lot of people turned up to see me and it was very flattering and surprising! Working on a comic usually means sitting alone in a room for hours, and over here in the UK I don't get much chance to talk to people who have actually read my story, so meeting all those people at SDCC was worth the trip alone.

12) What’s your dream project?

Honestly, I'd like it if I could work on my comic full time. More and more people are making webcomics their full time job, so I would like to do that too.

13) What would ten-year-old Tom think of present day Tom?

He would probably wonder why I spend so much time in front of a computer. Oh, and why I hadn't figured out how to make a real hover board yet, since It's almost 2015

14) Anything else you’d like to plug?

Bad Machinery is my current favourite webcomic. It's a really fun story about a group of kids who solve weird mysteries. http://www.badmachinery.com/

Chapter 1, Page 3


No comments:

Post a Comment