Friday, April 16, 2010

Heather White Interview!

Heather White, the writer of the lead story for Fraggle Rock issue #1 and the grower of some really gorgeous hair, has generously agreed to answer a few questions.

http://www.toughpigs.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/heatherwhite-224x300.jpg

Here you go:

AA - How did you get involved with working on Fraggle Rock?

I worked with Joe LeFavi over at Henson a while back, and he knew I was a HUGE Fraggle fan, so when this project came up he was kind enough to ask if I had any ideas for short Fraggle tales. I sent him far too many ideas, and it all blew up from there! At the time, I thought there was no chance I would even get a backup story in, so all of this has been a lovely surprise!

AA - How did you get started as a writer?

I started off as a writer at the US Senate, where I wrote speeches, press releases and made up quotes ("quote producer") for lots of senators, who shall remain nameless. It was the weirdest job ever. At the time, I was about 19 or 20 and still in college. It still boggles the mind to think that some of the nation's most important political people were using words written by a young, blond chick with absolutely no political aspirations.

(AA - Wow!)

AA - Of America's famous alcoholic writers, who is your favorite and why, if limited to Fitzgerald, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Twain, or Faulkner?

Well, Hemingway, of course! If you are going for classic alcoholics, he's the tops. In my mind, his body of work (written while smashed) is of the highest quality when compared to other alcoholic writers. Comparatively speaking. Was Twain really an alcoholic? I didn't know that. I knew he had a thing for his pipe...

AA - What book are you currently reading?

I wish I was reading a book right now! I can't really remember the last book I read for pleasure. (Though, I think it was The Body Artist by Don DeLillo). It seems like a common writer's dilemna, you don't have any time to read. Most writers I know are big audiobook fans. I'm fighting the urge to do become one myself, but at least then I could be current on books, and feel like all the time I spend in the car isn't a waste.

(AA - Yes, I admit, I'm addicted to audio books.)

AA - What comic are you currently reading?

I am, actually, rereading the SCOTT PILGRIM series in anticipation of the movie. It is one of my favorite graphic novel series ever, and the thought of seeing it on the screen, being directed by Edgar Wright, is almost too much for my geeky self to bare.

AA - When you were eight years old, who was your favorite author and why?

Oh goodness, when I was eight... I was reading a lot of Sweet Valley Twins, Francine Pascal stuff. That was right before I fell madly in love with the Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights series by Kevin J. Anderson. I really liked anything that transported me to a life that I would have loved to live - In Sweet Valley, the girls were beautiful and popular (which I was not) and in Star Wars, the main characters were in a school for Jedi! AND they were the offspring of Leia and Han Solo. You can't really get more enviable than that.

(AA - Thank you, Heather!)

No comments:

Post a Comment