Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Duff: A novel by Kody Keplinger


I was initially reluctant to read this book because DUFF stands for Designated Ugly Fat Friend. I thought somehow my feelings would be hurt by the story because, at six feet tall in stocking feet, it's easy to feel like a shaved Yeti in a crowd of pixies. But, I'm glad I read it and took delight in doing so. Through the story, Ms. Keplinger points out that everyone feels like The Duff sometimes. It's easy to relate to the narrator's plight, the characters are likeable and, at points, the book is just flat out funny.

Ms. Keplinger is apparently only 18. I have to confess that I can barely control my envy. What the heck was I doing at 18? Oh yeah, partying with my friends and feeling like The Duff.

There is some mature content in the story, so maybe not for very young girls, but in general a very enjoyable read with some good life lessons. I look forward to seeing what Ms. Keplinger comes up with next. (even though I'm sure I'll still be envious!)

No comments:

Post a Comment